Five trends our study has revealed.
1. Close to 95% of interviewees have no significant relationships beyond their own likeminded pods;
2. Close to 95% of interviewees are almost completely disinterested in interacting with others who are outside their likeminded pods (i.e. there goes the bridge building);
3. Almost 100% of those interviewed spend better than two hours per day as arm chair coaches, reading about, listening to, contemplating and criticizing our national congressional leaders;
|What to do?What |
4. Better than 80% of our interviewees believe they are powerless or lack the skills or other capabilities to impact our national political crises;
5. Better than 65% of those interviewed believe that internet conversations can affect national politics.Well we certainly are in a national political and societal mess, aren’t we? With much of it beyond the range of individual impact.
Still, given that a whole lot of human effort and attention is relentlessly focused, these days, on the changes we need, are there not some daily patterns YOU could, personally, alter?
Or is this way ample for you as your basic entertainment and/or manner of connecting?
To our way of thinking, at New Horizons, this means that if choose to use our time and energies most effectively, we can be the change we are after.
The truth is that we are a nation founded on the principle that we are –
“Of the people, by the people and for the people.”We need not be a nation that operates instead of the people, like puppets on the congressional string.
As the stepdaughter of a Holocaust survivor, I am always realizing that my “mom” survived because ordinary people acted in remarkable ways during unfortunate times.
So can we!
Think about it –
What is the “one” something expansive that you can do today, on a grassroots level, to make a difference?