Wednesday, August 3, 2011

For The Birds

I am so grateful that a wise old owl is presently inhabiting the woods surrounding my home. He/she/it keeps reminding me almost nightly that I am gifted to be able to find light in the darkness.

Being able to discern where there is darkness in myself and others and knowing how to transform the dark into light is an art form I acquired out of my need to survive my adventures in Camelot.

As a human, however, one can not always readily know whether or not certain things are of the light or the dark. Whether or not a thing is, simply put, the great, ongoing game played back and forth of the dark and the light? Or, is it truly an end of all ends.

For example, last year at this time the grandest of life-threatening crises was about the controversy surrounding the mosque slated to be built near Ground Zero. Was that a gift of the light or an omen of dark and evil sure to be lethal?

And, if it was truly a learning opportunity rather than a mortal crisis, certain to attract an increase in terrorist attacks, how could that situation ever be turned to the good? Who could imagine any elegant solutions here, or some kind of win-win outcome?

And, yet to date the plan continues onward in some kind of re-formed mode, controversy seeming to simmer now rather than set us on fire as it was once predicted to do.

This year it’s the debt ceiling. Not to minimize the severity of potential consequences facing us, but that, too, has been touted as a sign that our end is almost near.

It’s always something chaotic! It’s always URGENT and it’s always mortal. And, it’s always about the ENEMY that is always THEM. Not me, right?

As it has turned out, apparently, the Muslims, in spite of that crisis, are getting on quite well in America. A recent Gallup poll reported that Muslim Americans "… have generally optimistic and positive views about government, its agencies and the future of America…” This in spite of the fact that “they report a significant level of prejudice and discrimination,"

Can whatever wrought the ugly polarization among our various representatives in congress in the debt ceiling debate somehow show up next year in a study with a similar message from the bluebird of happiness?

Maybe, even from our New Horizons Possible Human, Possible Society Study? I can’t say I would mind. I hope for a more positively spirited American outlook next year at this time rather than all this drama.

I found it a bit of a challenge these past few weeks to keep an eye on the day-by-day, play-by-play and not get caught up in the urgency and the enemy mentality of it all. What has been going on has truly been for the birds!

I think that wise old owl nearby kept me relatively calm in this sea of contention and crisis. Like the goddess Athena of ancient mythology who had an owl on her shoulder, he/she/it must have helped me see through the darkness and into the light. That includes the dark in me that could prompt me to join in with the crisis mentality that I call my “Chicken Little” disorder.

Most of the time I was able to hold onto my perception (but not always without a bit of stretch) that this was, as usual in Washington, one more day in the GAME.

Shall I consider that a gift of having been blind and having the courage and endurance to face it now once again? Being blind, for better or for worse, made a shaman out of me; one who is able to live on ground level yet see the intrigue that goes on here with a bit of lightness and humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment