Thursday, February 16, 2017

Beyond Polarization: What Does It Take?

Does it matter to you that we are a nation of polarized people?

It sure does me! 

In fact, not only does Donald Trump and his divisiveness upset and scare me, what is now going on with people who voted different ways from one another breaks my heart.

I grew up being kept separate from other kids because I had a bigoted mother who would not allow me to play with kids who were different than me in terms of religious beliefs. 

And we were the minority! 

Isn’t that strange?

The only thing good that came of that was that it showed me how awful it is to be separated from neighbors!

I hate being separated from others. This is the main reason the efforts of the New Horizons Small ‘Zones of Peace” Project are what they are today; a full blown set of programs and projects to help all varieties of people come together.

This is now my life’s work. And, I won’t ever stop doing my part as long as I live!

I hope and pray you want all people to be united as much as I do – and – will therefore join me in the steep climb we now have in front of us to reach the destination of “awe.”

We can feel that awe when we come together in times of tragedy such as 9/11. We can feel that awe at a Super Bowl game, the Fourth of July, at Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

Why not each and every day of the year?

But what does it take to go beyond polarization?

Here are two essential beginning strategies --

Leaning In
Dialogue versus debate

If your heart is aching like mine these days over the state of our nation. And, you want something to do about it, keep following my blogs, on all three sites (here, Anastasia The Storyteller and Exploring Your Dark Side: The Adventure Of A Lifetime)  and the programs and projects New Horizons is offering.

I will be writing posts from here forth that will help you, your family, friends, neighbors and community tackle this challenge, polarization, and move beyond it. And New Horizons wonderful volunteer team, growing day-by-day, will be joining me through our many outreach and training programs and projects.

As a reminder, here are details about our next event ---



More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment